Ford Runner-Up at State; Sanford places 16th
Senior Riley Ford capped off a spectacular Red Raider career with a State Champion Runner Up title at the Division 4 Finals at Michigan International Speedway. Ford was in second from start to finish in a field of 238 runners, on a sloppy course, fighting off moves by the third place finisher with less than a mile to go to clock in at 19:22.
This is the highest finish ever by any Marlette runner and she is the only girl to qualify all four years and finish All State three of those years. Riley will continue her running career in the fall at Dalton State in Georgia.
“We are so proud of all the hard work and dedication Riley has poured into her high school career. She worked tremendously hard and fought that entire race to earn that title of State Champion Runner up. Capping off back to back regional and league titles, three time All State, and many individual wins, it was a great day for Riley and Marlette Cross Country,” said Coach Chris Titus.
Division 4 Boys
1. Mason Sumner, Breckenridge, 16:07.5
23. Ethan Handley, Carsonville-Port Sanilac, 17:14.4
73. Brett Dumaw, Deckerville, 18:02.9
104. Trevor Barker, Deckerville, 18:21.8
118. Chase Simkiss, Deckerville, 18:33.5
202. Tyler Park, Deckerville, 19:42.0
203. Javier Valencia-Sanchez, Deckerville,19:43.4
204. Aaron Wilcox, Deckerville, 19:43.5
215. Brett Tanton, Deckerville, 20:04.3
Division 4 Girls
1. Abby VanderKooi, Muskegon Western, 18:11.0
2. Riley Ford, Marlette, 19:22.7
16. Sophia Sanford, Deckerville, 20:17.8
46. Abigail Sanford, Deckerville, 21:10.7
132. Kaylee Wagester, Deckerville, 22:44.6
209. Emma Beaver, Deckerville, 25:09.1
236. Allison Lapp, Deckerville, 29:43.8