ALBERTSON: 1878 began the legacy of the Albertson Centennial Farm with Delbert and Ellen Albertson. It is now in the seventh generation. Originally it was a dairy farm. After the death of Donovan Albertson in 1994, the registered Holstien herd was sold and corn and soybeans became the crops. Pictured are Donovan Albertson with his grandsons, Daniel, Donovan, and David at the farm on Slattery Rd., Clifford, MI.
COLTSON: Ronald J. and Loris Coltson still farm the property that has been in their family since March 25, 1914. The farm is on Sanilac Rd. in Kingston. It was originally purchased by James H. and Louisa Coltson in 1914 from Zacharias Bartholomew. James died in 1935 and in 1941 Louisa sold it to Irl and Ellen Coltson. Irl farmed with his son, Ron, until his death in 1989. Upon Ellen’s death in 1999, Ron and Loris inherited the farm. This year they produced wheat, corn and soy beans.
DAVIES: Back in the late 1800’s John Davies, a native of Canada, came to Michigan with the intention of starting a farm of his own some day. John purchased 60 acres of land in Flynn Township near Marlette, but he probably never guessed that it would still remain in his family for over 100 years. The land was purchased on July 26,1885. John’s son, Walter Davies, eventually purchased the farm from his father shortly before his death in 1916.
Everett Davies, one of three sons of Walter Davies, bought the farm from his father in 1957. Everett married Shirley Sirdan on June 3, 1961. They have since raised two children on the farm, daughter, Linda and son, David, who are both married and living in the Marlette area.
Everett has since passed, but Shirley continues to live on the farm and will one day pass it on to the next generation.
The farm has an unusual landmark. A bear standing atop a gun made into a weathervane sits on the barn as a symbol of the last bear shot in this area, around the year 1900.
HARTSHORN-MOORE: In 1868, James Hartshorn walked from Lake Huron and Cherry Creek, due west to a clearing and staked claim on 80 acres. In 1879, James and Marcia Hartshorn established residence in Section 5 of Forester Township.
It still remains in the family in 2015. It was recognized as a Centennial Farm in 1978.
James & Maria Hartshorn; C. Barclay & Grace Hartshorn Moore (granddaughter); Gween Moore Johnson (great-granddaughter); Calvin Moore (great-grandson); Nira Moore Adair (great-granddaughter); Larry P. & Mary Johnson (great-great-granddaughter): Amber Johnson (great-great-great-granddaughter); Brad & Kristie Johnson (great-great-great-grandson and current owner); Trentin Johnson (great-great-great-great-grandson); Alyssa Johnson (great-great-great-great-granddaughter).
HOOPER: Orville Hooper still lives on the farm that has been in his family for over 100 years. George and Maryann Hooper purchased the 80 acre farm on Goetze Road, northeast of Deckerville in 1900. The farm still produces corn and hay and serves as pasture land .